|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 10 dry red chilies, mix of 5 hot and 5 sweet decide your own ratio according to spiciness
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup mushroom broth** see passover soy sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- Slice open the dry chilies and discard the seeds and stems (make sure you wear gloves!). Rinse the peppers and then soak in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the water, reserving the water, and add them to a food processor. Add 1 tablespoon of the chili-infused water and process until smooth, if needed adding 1 tablespoon at a time of the chili water until a smooth paste forms.
- Heat up the oil in a sauce pan. Add in the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until golden. Add in the ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant, another 2-3 minutes. Add in the chili paste along with the tomato paste, mix well and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the broth, vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well and cook for another minute or two. Turn off the flame.
- Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.