|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt + 1 tsp added with the water
- 3 carrots diced
- 4 small yukon potatoes diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 heaping tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 cup dried split peas
- 1/2 lb cubed beef pastrami
- 2-4 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
- 3 inch Romanian Smoked salami diced
- Heat up the olive oil in a large stock pot over a medium flame.
- Add in the onion and garlic and sauté until golden, making sure not to let it burn. As it is sautéing add in 1/2 tsp of kosher salt to help draw out the liquid and to soften them.
- Add in the carrots and potatoes and continue to sauté until they soften about 10 minutes.
- Add the celery and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the fresh thyme, split peas, pastrami, bay leaves, water and extra salt.
- Cover the soup and bring to a boil.
- Lower the flame and allow to simmer for 45-60 minutes, until the split peas have absorbed the water and expanded.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with Romanian smoked salami.